Friday, April 18, 2014

Seventh grade softball kicks off their season

by Ashley Matheis

Seventh grade softball has kicked off their season.

“I am excited because I haven’t played in a while, and it will be fun to see how I do,” Olivia Karpinski, seventh grade, said.

Lenna Gottschild, seventh grade, said, “I am very excited because it will be my very first softball game.”

Although there are some players on the team that have never played, there are also some experienced team members.

“I played for five years when I was younger, and then I stopped for a while to focus on tennis. Now, I’m back at it,” Karpinski said.

The girls work well together, even though they didn’t know each other before the season started.

“It’s very fun to work together because they are all nice and energetic,” Karpinski said.

During practice, the girls will run a lap around the school through the halls or outside. Then, they stretch and work on their technique and progression for throwing and batting. Finally, they play games to help with speed and accuracy. Sometimes, they even play a wiffle ball game to practice playing an actual game.

They played their first game on April 17, 2014 against Creekside.

According to these girls, they like softball.

“It’s fun because you get to be with your friends and enjoy the fresh air,” Karpinski said.

Gottschild also enjoys it. “I think it’s fun because it keeps you moving, and it puts you in a good mood,” she said.

The seventh grade teams plays again on Monday, April 21 at Noblesville West Middle School.