Friday, April 18, 2014

Seventh grade baseball teams plays first game

By Josie Pierce
Baseball season has just begun here at Clay Middle School. All the players are ready to get out on the field and show Clay pride. Getting to the first game has not been easy though. Struggling with the occurring weather, the boys have had to practice inside do to the weather conditions.
"It's very different from practicing outside. We have many restrictions inside, and you don't get the same feeling. We also can't work on many vital skills because of space," Michael Aikman, seventh grade, said .
But nothing will stop the Clay Trojans.
"Even though we have had to practice inside, this will not affect our mental or physical game. We have all played baseball before, and we know just how to get the job done," Carlton Webb, seventh grade, said.
The boys were thrilled to begin the season. According to Aikman, "All five days of tryouts were very nerve-wracking. You could tell all of us just wanted to make the team."
The boys received the news after tryouts about who made the team.
"When I found out that I made the team, I was really happy and relieved. I was proud that all my hard work had paid off. I was also happy for all my other buddies who made the team as well," Webb said.
The Clay Trojans played their first game on April 16, against Noblesville Middle School.
"I am confident we will win our first game. Each one of us have worked really hard during practice to prepare for our first game," said Aikman.
Already, the Trojans have developed a cohesive team.

"We are all really good friends and get along well. I think that this chemistry will be an advantage to our team," said Webb.