Friday, April 18, 2014

Seventh grade athlete exudes pride for soccer team

By Grace Chuck

Crack!  The soccer ball flies several feet in the air before landing with a thud.  

Elizabeth Hargis’ foot stings, but she couldn’t be more proud. The Carmel United team cheers wildly chanting, “Hargis!”, “Hargis!”, “Hargis!”

The opposing team is disappointed, but sets it aside, congratulating Elizabeth on her game winning kick.  Hargis just stands there, a goofy smile on her face thinking, ‘I love this.’

Elizabeth Hargis, seventh grade, not only loves scoring, she loves the game of soccer, and  her team.  

Hargis plays for Carmel United Soccer Club (CUSC). She’s on the top team for the club called ECNL and plays middle defense.  

All of the teams travel several times throughout the year, visiting Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, and Chicago. Hargis loves playing in all of the different places and all of the different fields.  
Another favorite for her are the coaches.  

“The coaches are one of my favorite parts of playing,” Hargis said. “They’re all so nice and understanding.”

“Playing soccer is amazing. Playing for CUSC is an honor. I love what I do, and I love the team I play for.  Representing my team, and doing all I can to win the game and to finish strong, is what I look forward to every day,”  Hargis said.